Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Ultimate Newspaper

I have been thinking lately about what the "ultimate" newspaper would be like if we could build it in this current web-driven environment. I think I have a pretty good idea. For starters, such a newspaper would be online only. There would be no hard copies anywhere.  At best, you could print out the articles and photos that are posted online, but you definitely would not hear it thud at the edge of your driveway and it wouldn't even be available at the vending box on the street.

Just like we see with online editions now, my ultimate newspaper would continuously post stories and photos digitally as they happen. There would never be a "final" edition. As long as events are developing, the "paper" is constantly evolving new and better stories and updates on previously reported stories. In blog and journal style, you would get reporting that is less prose and more minute-by-minute or hour-by-hour.

A second wave of reporters and writers would come in behind the reports and offer perspective and insight. What does this story mean? Who are the winners and the losers? What is at stake? How does this story and the outcome change life and also who is affected?

But here is the kicker: as news stories develop, I would go beyond just providing video clips to enhance the story as today's online publications tend to do. The ultimate newspaper would instead rely on the new smartphone streaming technology to go live to news hotspots. Within the stories of the ultimate newspaper there would be links where you could tune in to live on-the-scene reports and activity as it occurs.

What I envision is an "ultimate" newspaper that is the news equivalent of a "living document" constantly changing in text, photos, videos and live feeds with no end. The Huffington Post has come closest I think but the day is coming when that very model will be in place. I don't think the newspaper industry is really dead. It is just in a state of transition and this is what I see it transitioning to in order to survive. Once this happens across the landscape, it will revitalize the industry.

This CNN report on the decline of newspapers is two years old, but has some interesting points.

No comments:

Post a Comment